We are doing it! We have made the decision. I'm scared, happy and nervous, but ultimately I believe we are doing the right thing, something that is in the best interests of our elder son. So, the plan is to inform the head teacher of his school, and home educate after half term. Aaargh! And Yay! I think that pretty much sums up how I feel!
Update (30.11.10): We are going to home educate James, but we are waiting until after Christmas as originally planned, for reasons that I won't go into. But we are still planning to take the plunge some time in January.